Surgeons work in the most sensitive of environments, dealing with high-risk patients at any moment of their job. For the success of the operation, you need the best gears to ease the pressure of your job. Apart from the aprons, masks, surgical gowns, glasses, or gloves, you need the best shoes that are durable and won’t be a nuisance.
This review comes in handy for any surgeon out there; it eases the purchasing process. The article examines the crucial details worth looking at before making an ideal selection. Take a look at the best shoes for surgeons and select any favourite from our top ten list.
- What Makes the Best Shoes for Surgery Special?
- What Else Should I Look out for Surgeon’s Shoes?
- Features of a Good Shoes for Surgeons
- Benefits of Best Operating Room Shoes
- 10 Best Shoes for Surgeons
- 1. Merrell Men’s Encore Gust – Best Shoes for Surgery
- 2. Dansko Women’s Celeste – Best Surgeon Shoes
- 3. Skechers Flex Advantage Mcallen – Best Operating Room Shoes
- 4. Crocs On The Clock – Best Surgery Shoes
- 5. Skechers Rockland – Best Shoes for Operating Room
- 6. Birkenstock – Best Surgical Clogs
- 7. Keen Utility Men’s PTC II-M – Best OR Shoes
- 8. OOFOS Unisex OO – Best Clogs for Doctors
- 9. Clarks Women’s CloudSteppers Sillian Paz Surgery Shoes
- 10. Timberland PRO Women’s Renova Surgeon Shoes
- Criteria to Buy Shoes for Surgeons
- Frequently Asked Questions
- List of 10 Best Shoes for Surgery
What Makes the Best Shoes for Surgery Special?
The best pair of shoes can give you a more relaxed time during operations. These shoes are special for a variety of reasons. You can’t find them in the market since they need to be specialized in the operation rooms. Plus, they need to have highly sophisticated outsoles with more significant lugs to keep the friction to the ground at the highest possible levels.
Additionally, these shoes are made of lightweight materials so that surgeons can walk freely in the operation room without being aggravated by their footwear.
What Else Should I Look out for Surgeon’s Shoes?
When you are looking to buy new surgeon’s shoes, then you need to be aware of certain things like their size and shape. The size needs always to fit the surgeon’s foot type since he needs extended stability during operations.
Then you need to check on the shape. Regular shoes may have rough edges that may provoke lots of impacts inside the operation room. They could lead to injuries during the surgery that is not supposed to happen and may even threaten the patient’s life.
Features of a Good Shoes for Surgeons
Many features cover the topic of the best shoes for surgeons. Some of them include:
- Breathability: All surgeons need to be comfortable when operating their patients.
- Style: As doctors know it better, by choosing stylish shoes you will like to wear.
- Cushioning for the heels and foot curve: Always essential to stand comfortably.
- Support: Before choosing new shoes, make sure they are well-supported shoes.
Benefits of Best Operating Room Shoes
Surgeons have a lot to benefit from their shoes. First, they can see their feet being relaxed after a long-hours surgery. This is because the cushioning is going to absorb all pressure coming from the ground. Additionally, they can have their feet muscles adequately trained. This can be done by standing in the right kind of shoes that improves the level of their satisfaction.
Finally, the best shoes for doctors will always keep safe and prevent any possible injury during the operation when all the attention of the surgeon given to the patient.
10 Best Shoes for Surgeons
1. Merrell Men’s Encore Gust – Best Shoes for Surgery
- Polished slip-on with supportive sole unit and padded collar
- Merrell air cushion in the heel absorbs shock. Compression molded EVA footframe for stability and...
- Ortholite footbed
- Breathable mesh lining wicks to keep feet dry
Top on our list is the Merrell Encore shoe that features a top-quality grip sole. As a surgeon, you won’t be disappointed by the sole embedded in this shoe. It is very comfortable, boosting your concentration in your day’s work.
A 2” heel is sufficient to help your withstand long-standing hours of work. They crafted the heel using an EVA foot frame that sustains heavy compression. Whether you are 100 pounds or 60, you will love the soft padding.
As a product of the United States, quality is a top priority. This shoe made of 100% leather, and the mesh line wicks have a high absorption capacity, leaving your feet dry throughout the day.
With its padded collar, you benefit from maximum comfort. And its Ortholite footbed makes it flexible and soft to your foot muscles.
- Easy to clean
- Superior quality (100% leather)
- Well-aerated guaranteeing day-long freshness
- Its high grip sole makes it safe
- Limited to only two colours
- A moulded nylon shank wears off fast
2. Dansko Women’s Celeste – Best Surgeon Shoes
The Dansko Celeste is a favourite for female surgeons. The design of this shoe fits well with the personality of a female surgeon.
You get it at flexible sizes designed for females. From stocks previously sold, 73% of buyers get their perfect fit with a single search on Amazon.
Popular feminine sizes range from 5 to 6, which are always readily available in the market. Whether you are in the US or living abroad, you get this shoe through import orders.
They considered comfort when making this shoe-type. The heel is 1.25” high, making it convenient for a lady surgeon on an extended timeline.
The design made of pure leather makes it easy to clean without wasting much time. Surgeons work with tight schedules, and so this shoe comes in handy for them.
Also, for easy cleaning, you can easily remove the shrink-free insole. When you return it after a thorough clean, it fits perfectly into its location.
A 0.75” platform offers sufficient clearance from the ground. The distance makes it safe for the surgeon in case there are spills of blood or chemicals in the operating area.
To add to the stable sole, they added a soft arch for more comfort. The shoe is very light as well, weighing 2.6 pounds only.
- The shoe is lightweight
- It is easy to clean
- Its padding offers extra comfort
- Made with fitting sizes
- It is not available for international shipping
- Available in one colour
3. Skechers Flex Advantage Mcallen – Best Operating Room Shoes
- Slip-on shoe work shoe featuring mesh fabric upper and slip-resistant traction outsole
- Elastic side gores at opening
- Padded collar and reinforced stitched seams. Memory foam insole for cushioning
- For medium fit it maintains medium width in the heel with a roomier toe box. For medium fit it is a...
For the stylish surgeon, then the Skechers is no letdown. They have a wide range of fitting sizes (sizes 7 to 16) that suit ordinary or wide feet.
The sole meets the highest quality criteria. The heel is neither too high nor too low, at 1.25” you enjoy optimum comfort while walking.
And to ensure that your toes cared for, they added extra toe room to fit longer toes. This enables sufficient blood flow hence no chance left for suffocation.
For more strength, they stitch the padding with strong seams. The construction of its insole provides a soft cushion for feet that minimizes leg fatigue.
An anti-slip sole assures you of safety at work by enhancing grip. Moreover, the synthetic outer mesh was crafted for sturdiness.
The interesting thing about this shoe is that you can wear it indoors or outdoors. Depending on what you want to use them for, you benefit from the flexibility.
In case you have any doubts about the standards of this shoe, then that is demystified. In 2015, this shoe passed the ASTM F1677-2005 Mark II standardization testing.
- Slip resistance exceeds 0.4 in extreme conditions
- It is a stylish shoe
- With elastic gores, there is better comfort
- It is available for international shipping
- Available in one colour
- Made of majorly synthetic material
4. Crocs On The Clock – Best Surgery Shoes
- THE PERFECT WORK CROCS: Do your shoes live up to your career specialty? The Crocs On-The-Clock Work...
- EASY TO CLEAN: Crocs work clogs are fully molded and easy to clean by just using soap and water and...
- CERTIFIABLY COMFORTABLE: Think of these slip resistant shoes as a caffeinated version of the Crocs...
- DESIGNED FOR HARD WORKERS: The Crocs On-The-Clock Work Slip On collection was designed with nurses,...
Have you been to any theatre? If so, you must have seen so many croc shoes there. Crocs are synonymous with theatres as they are comfortable to wear for patients, visitors, and personnel.
Crocs manufactured to the highest standards in the industry. These crocs meet CE certification and are ASTM F2913 11 tested.
With a slimmed back, there is an assurance of better comfort. The tapering enables a unique fit for you.
Unlike most crocs, this one has a unique footbed that wicks traces of moisture in an instant. The moulding in itself guarantees comfort.
They also thought about colour while coming up with these crocs. To suit your environment, you get them in black or white.
It made of a strengthened arch, with its structure displaying real toughness. No wonder these are the best shoes for surgery residency preferred for visitors entering the premise.
- Crocs are easy to clean
- They are affordable compared
- Available for international shipping
- Less appealing
- Made of humanmade material that is not durable
5. Skechers Rockland – Best Shoes for Operating Room
- Leather slip-on shoe featuring reinforced stitching, gored insets on vamp, and memory-foam insole
- Shock-absorbing midsole. 1/4 inch heel
- ASTM-approved electrical hazard safety rating
- Meets OSHA's non-slip requirements
The Rockland Sketchers is yet another fashionable work shoe that comes in two colours. You get it in graphite and black, depending on your choice.
The Sketchers are the most comfortable, among many more designs. With a rubber sole, you won’t feel any foot sores when you wear them for long hours.
It features shorter heels that rise to ¼ inch height. The essence of that kind of heel is for increased stability that helps you enjoy your workday.
As for the material used in structuring this fit, you will love it. They use 100% leather that makes it a stylish choice.
Besides, the insole made of tough padding composed of memory foam. The good thing about the insole material is that it lasts way longer than the regular types.
This shoe is super light and suitable for short and long walks. At only 2 pounds, it ranks lightest among the Skechers brands.
For customer satisfaction, they made it in several fit sizes. The sizes range from 6.5 to 16, fitting more than 78% of Americans.
- Chemical resistant structure
- Made from strong anti-slip technology for grip
- Has tough padding with memory foam
- They are water-resistant
- They do not have toe protection
- Not available for shipping internationally
6. Birkenstock – Best Surgical Clogs
- Narrow width (, S, XN, Schmal, Estrecho, Slim, étroit, stretta)
- Manufacturer: Birkenstock Material: Oiled Leather Footbed: Oiled Leather Sole: EVA
- Color: Black
- Footbed: Oiled Leather Sole: EVA
Looking for the best shoes for surgeons? At first glance, Birkenstock Clogs are trendy by nature. The awesome design is appealing and steady for any foot type.
It constructed with top-notch leather sourced from across Europe. For a soft touch, they oil the leather to make it feet-friendly. Similarly, they embed the base with thin and oiled leather to handle the pressure of body weight.
The footbed features a tough EVA sole that doesn’t wear off soon. Since EVA is lightweight, it doesn’t add to the overall weight of the shoe, reaching a max of 1.37 pounds per shoe.
The Clogs are unisex, so no worry about making choices. The design appeals to both males and females in equal measure.
This product is 100% German, which is a leader in quality.
- Oiled leather used is soft to the foot
- Unisex so ideal for both genders
- Available in black only
- It does not ship to all countries
7. Keen Utility Men’s PTC II-M – Best OR Shoes
- Meets or exceeds ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) F1677-96 Mark II non-slip testing...
- Medial side gore for comfort and fit.Tpu stability shank. Toe type-soft toe
- Slip-on design. Compression molded EVA midsole
- KEEN.Cush PU and memory foam footbed
If you are looking for a shoe that meets high-level standards, then Keen Utility is the best pick for you. The shoe passed the ASTM test on slipping, making it a safe shoe.
An EVA midsole enhances its sturdiness while the outer sole features rubber. The gripped sole guarantees steadiness in wet and oily surfaces.
Unlike other types, the Keen Utility has toe protection at its tip. Its shank and medial side gore work together to protect soft toes.
The base of the footbed padded with memory foam. The material is lightweight and lasts longer than conventional types.
Another evident characteristic is leather construction. These shoe made of 100% leather material that gives it a superior finish.
For surgeons, this shoe is ideal as it is waterproof. Besides, it is easy to clean.
- Wearable with different attires
- It is waterproof
- It has toe protection
- The leather makes it durable
- Has sizing issues especially when replacing insoles
- Only available in black and white
8. OOFOS Unisex OO – Best Clogs for Doctors
- OOfoam Recovery Technology absorbs 37% more impact than traditional footwear foam, giving your feet...
- Our patented footbed will cradle your arches to reduce stress on sore feet, ankles, knees, and lower...
- Designed to allow natural motion and relief
- Keeping things easy, OOFOS are machine washable
These affordable clogs enable easy replenishment at the theatre. Since hygiene is critical in a surgical environment, the theatre ought to stock a good number of shoes for visitors and personnel.
Its unique footbed allows the feet to rest comfortably, minimizing foot sores and backaches. The footbed is patented owing to its quality and innovativeness.
The design makes it easy to clean as compared to other types. Whether you hand wash or machine wash, it adapts well to both.
You get the clogs in many colours, so no worry about stuffing your environment with one colour. Further, you get them in multiple sizes for the best fit.
Its rubber sole does the anti-slip trick, ensuring safety while using them. The design supports natural motion hence less stress while walking around.
The memory foam upgraded from the traditional ones. It absorbs impact by an additional 37% while the cradle enables stable footrest.
- It is easy to clean
- Available in multiple sizes
- More impact absorption
- Flexible to machine or hand wash
- Slightly heavier than other clogs
- Fitting sizes not satisfactory
9. Clarks Women’s CloudSteppers Sillian Paz Surgery Shoes
- Cushion soft
- Ortholite foot bed
Clarks is ideal for a classy woman. These loafers assure comfort as the heels project to a max of 1.5”.
For hygiene, the insole is removable; hence, you may wash it regularly. The insole is very soft, while the midsole features an EVA material that makes it reasonably lightweight.
With a high-density foam, motion made easier as the cushion bounces back for a quick forward trajectory. Additionally, the EVA material assures supreme shock absorption.
Every lady has a favourite colour. The designer of these Clarks considered this fact and ensured that it is available in 7 colours.
If you suffer from plantar fasciitis or have a weight problem, this shoe is the best therapy for you. Plus, the synthetic material camouflages leather; hence, you can use it at the workplace without your employer noticing it is not real leather.
- It is therapeutic
- It supports forward motion
- Available in 7 colours
- It is lightweight
- It made of synthetic material
- Toe protection is absent
10. Timberland PRO Women’s Renova Surgeon Shoes
- Features anti-microbial technology to control odors for a fresher, more comfortable foot...
- When you're on your feet all day you'll need the Timberland PRO® Renova™ Professional slip-on...
- Premium full grain leather upper offers outstanding style and durability.
- 3M Scotchgard™ protector provides excellent stain resistance.
This is a dynamic shoe that fits different foot types. Whether wide or narrow, you get your choice with this brand.
The heel is reasonably high at 1.75”. The deliberate design is to ensure stability during walks.
Its microsuede lining makes it stylish besides being comfortable. An elastic goring enables nice fitting while the rubber sole adds to the comfort.
Credit goes Timberland for incorporating the anti-fatigue technology to their shoes. As a user, you do not get tired of wearing the shoe for long hours.
The 3M Scotchgard protector is another unique feature built in the design. The protector allows stain resistance just in case theatre chemicals come in contact with the shoe.
- It is lightweight
- Reduced forefoot pressure with the heel to toe rocker
- Designed with anti-slip characteristics
- Anti-fatigue technology
- Available in 2 colours alone
- Not 100% leather
Criteria to Buy Shoes for Surgeons
Surgery is a very delicate procedure that needs one to be in a comfortable and relaxed state. Use the tips below to help you get the best shoes for surgeons.
There are fewer chances that you will be comfortable when you wear shoes that you are not pleased with their look. If you use surgeon shoes that have a great look, your level of confidence will go up automatically. Ensure you get shoes that have a beautiful look, and you will put them with lots of faith.
Ease of Cleaning
There are times when the operating rooms can get messy despite surgery being regarded as a sterile event. For sure, there will be times when fluids will drip off from the shoes. It is, therefore, advisable for any surgeon to go for easy to clean shoes for surgeons. They need to stay from shoes made of fabric materials since they will take in the fluid.
The surgical rooms usually made of slippery floors. This makes the chances of sliding off more high. It means that one should go for shoes that have an excellent grip. Always check the sole treads of the operating room shoes to ensure they are of top quality and excellent grip before making any purchase.
There are times when syringes or sharp objects might fall off. It is, therefore, essential to ensure the shoe material is of high quality and sturdy enough to resist any severe purpose from passing through it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. What Type of Shoes Do Surgeons Wear?
There are several types of shoe surgeons can always put on whenever they are conducting surgery or at the theatre. The three most common types are the Slip-on Merrell Encore, the Mcallen Slip-Resistant Skechers, and the Professional Dansko leather shoes.
Q. Do Surgeons Wear Crocs?
Yes, surgeons put on crocs. Crocs made of stain-resistant materials. This helps in preventing the blood and stains from the patient’s body or the gadgets they are using from getting into their feet. Some liquids, if allowed to get into the body skin, can easily cause health issues or irritation that can make them lose concentration.
Q. Can Surgeons Put Insoles in Their Shoes for Added Comfort?
Yes, surgeons can put on insoles for extra comfort. Surgery is a painful exercise that requires one to be alert at all times.
However, when they are not vigilant, there are high chances, something can go wrong. One way of increasing their level of comfort is by adding an insole on their shoes to help add extra warmth. However, the insole needs to be of excellent breathability to help soak in any sweat that comes from the feet.
Q. Why Do Surgeons Wear Crocs?
The surgeons usually put on the crocs. That is because the type of material used in making crocs is resistant to blood stains and other types of body fluids in the body. The fluids can easily spill from patients onto their clothes.
List of 10 Best Shoes for Surgery
We hope this review gives you a headstart on the choice of the best operating room shoes. There are several factors to look at before making the final buying decision. It is worth looking at the weight of the shoe, the material used, ease of cleaning, toe protection, just but to name a few.
Next time you are shopping for the best shoes for surgeons, consider the few selections in this review. Hopefully, the article sets a baseline for making the most valued decision. Be sure to check the pros and cons of each shoe.